Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie Tim Downie is offline

Default Low energy light bulbs - comparison

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:02:41 +0000, Peter Scott wrote:

If not would people be willing to share their findings? I would be
happy to put together a spreadsheet and recordset of the findings if
they appeared to be consistent and useful

I think the biggest problem will be the rather subjective comments
people make. Some just don't like 'em, others are quite happy. What
would be useful is something that tabulates the make/model, rated
power & lumens output for each lamp and (in an ideal world) the real
lumen ouput at switch on from cold, at 1, 2, 5 and 10 mins, the
colour temperature once warm and if they start with or without a
flicker. The latter half would require an awful lot of effort though
and decent measuring kit.

The first bit could be done by looking at the packaging as most, if
not all, lamps now have that info on them.

You're assuming that manufacturers don't speak with forked tongues. In my
experience, rated equivalence doesn't begin to come near that of a
conventional incandescent bulb.

Sure, if you're prepared to dig though the small print you sometimes find
weasel words mentioning that they're actually equivalent to "soft tone"
bulbs but who the heck buys them?

Having said all that I was tempted by an offer in Tesco the other day (11W
GE bulbs for 19p each). I then spent the next couple of hours converting a
pendant in the hall to taking two of these bulbs. The output is almost
acceptable now.

Tim