Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Audiophile cappacitor replacement

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

Jensen copper foil / oiled paper caps as upgrade replacements, are
usually
more associated with the lower values that you tend to find as coupling
caps
in valve amplifiers. They are physically bigger than the bog standard
polyesters that you would normally find fitted, and are very expensive.
There is, however, a measurable improvement to be had by fitting them

What measureable improvement ?

Have you measured it ?

Graham

Hi Graham

I haven't personally measured any changes, but I have been assured by more
than one genuine expert in the field,

What's a genuine expert ?

that an improvement in the dynamic
response and overall flatness of the response curve of a high end - and
we're talking 1200 quid monoblocks here - *is* both audible and measurable.

And I were to tell you that they are complete knobs ?

I know what you're saying - or implying at least - and under normal
circumstances, having been in this business for 35 years and having seen and
looked into virtually every snake oil claim that there is out there, I too
would be skeptical. However, knowing the credentials of the people who have
made these claims, I have no reason to doubt them. I don't know whether you
have ever been over on uk rec audio, but there are some furious debates that
get going over claims about audible differences on cables,

Yes, they're quite barking mad and one of the guys who makes some of the most
extravagant claims has utter rubbish for his 'system'.

and it always
comes down to measurable characteristics in the end, so that is why I am
prepared to accept what has been said with regard to these caps, in this
situation, by these people.

I genuinely believe that measurements with the appropriate equipment *have*
been made, and a difference *has* been seen.

By whom ?

At the end of the day, Jensen
are a reputable company, and have been around for a very long time selling
very high quality caps. Whilst I appreciate that this is not a
recommendation for any claims per se, by the same token, in my experience,
snake oil sellers tend not to last too long, before their claims are
discredited ...

Not in the audio business !

Be assured that unless I was pretty confident of what I was saying, I
wouldn't actually say it on here, and potentially mislead someone that may
be of lesser ability or experience than me. However, all of this has no
relevance to the OP's original question, which I answered with what I
believe to be an honest opinion, which is that attempting to replace
electrolytic interstage coupling caps, with bipolars, will not result in any
audible improvement to his equipment.

Biploars will make it worse actually.

Have you ever measured any capacitors?

I have.