Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Low energy light bulbs - comparison

On 2007-01-18 09:02:41 +0000, Peter Scott said:

Like most people, I guess,I'm working on changing as many of my lamps
to low energy.

Really? Not based on shelf space devoted to them in most stores.

The great deep-thinking ones are thinking of banning the sale of
filament lamps anyway.

I think you mean small minded people who like to interfere in the
freedom of choice of others.

I made a spreadsheet that showed I was using about £250 a year on
lights (big house). This should come down to about £80 with LE, after
allowing for not being able to dim them.

I find that surprising. I also have a considerable number of lamps -
almost all tungsten of one technology or another and don't get to
anything like this figure.

If not would people be willing to share their findings? I would be
happy to put together a spreadsheet and recordset of the findings if
they appeared to be consistent and useful (maybe I'll regret saying
that!). I could put this on my website with a link on the faq or it
might go on the faq itself.

What do people think?

I think that the exercise is pointless. I haven't yet found any low
energy lamps that I would entertain having in the house. I find the
light quality poor and colour rendition obtained distinctly artificial
looking and strange to the point of having a bilious effect.

The amount of energy saved I don't think is worth the effort just in
the context of lamp use, especially when mechanics and light
suitability are also taken into account, and in comparison with other
energy saving measures, it's really not worth bothering.