Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield Harry Bloomfield is offline

Default Low energy light bulbs - comparison

Peter Scott formulated on Thursday :
Problem is I need to change several light fittings and buy new free-standing
ones for reading etc. I don't want to do this until I know more about the the
sizes, output and light colour of the bulbs. I've looked at various suppliers
sites thrown up by Google, and the suppliers I use for electrical bits, but
the data is very limited. Short of buying one of each lamp and testing them
myself I'm not sure how to proceed. Its not like a thermostat or a piece of
pipe. Lighting is an important part of the design of a room, so I want to get
it right.

You should only consider using the low energy lamps where the light is
turned on and left on for a sensible period of time - for all other
uses ordinary filament lamps are best for both electrical economy and
lamp replacement economy, initial cost and you get 100% light output as
soon as switched on.

The low energy lamps just don't survive very long if frequently
switched, filament lamps are much better for this type of use.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)