Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott Peter Scott is offline

Default Low energy light bulbs - comparison

Like most people, I guess,I'm working on changing as many of my lamps to
low energy. The great deep-thinking ones are thinking of banning the
sale of filament lamps anyway. I made a spreadsheet that showed I was
using about £250 a year on lights (big house). This should come down to
about £80 with LE, after allowing for not being able to dim them.

Problem is I need to change several light fittings and buy new
free-standing ones for reading etc. I don't want to do this until I know
more about the the sizes, output and light colour of the bulbs. I've
looked at various suppliers sites thrown up by Google, and the suppliers
I use for electrical bits, but the data is very limited. Short of buying
one of each lamp and testing them myself I'm not sure how to proceed.
Its not like a thermostat or a piece of pipe. Lighting is an important
part of the design of a room, so I want to get it right.

Has this topic been discussed on this ng lately? I've not browsed it for
a while. The uk.d-i-y faq has no information like this. Does anyone know
of another faq or info site?

If not would people be willing to share their findings? I would be happy
to put together a spreadsheet and recordset of the findings if they
appeared to be consistent and useful (maybe I'll regret saying that!). I
could put this on my website with a link on the faq or it might go on
the faq itself.

What do people think?

Peter Scott