Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Pep Pep is offline

Default Question about high efficiency Furnace Exhaust

Goedjn wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:28:33 -0500, Bubba
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:15:18 -0600, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

I wonder if he's ever heard of an ELBOW.? Aim it down or sideways and it
should avoid both problems. DUH

Down or sideways? Duhhhh yourself. Obviously you've never looked at
the installation manual on venting a 90% eff furnace.
You would have many many callbacks with that "fix".

My inclination, (without benefit of instructions)
would be to 'T' it into a larger pipe, pointed up and down,
and open at both ends. But not until a problem
became apparent.

Thanks for the input everyone. Like some have suggested that particular
contractor was pretty negative on the high efficiency furnace. Due to
my finished basement any new ducting would be a pain to install
compared to a simple mid efficiency furnace.

I did get a total or four bids. Two would only install mid efficiency.
(the laziest and least knowledgeable IMHO). The other contractor who
would install high efficiency was particularly thorough and followed up
well on my questions. And like many have suggest exhaust condensation
will likely not be an issue after asking more questions.

So a new Trane XV90 is being installed next week. Anyone know where I
can get a Trane installation manual?