Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Testing the heating element in a water heater

wrote:
I have a Solar panel connected to the Immersion heater and recently the
water temperature has dropped dramatically even with the Immersion
heater on. I have removed the element from the heater but would like
to test whether the element is working. is there a simple way of doing
it? The pipe at the top of the tank seems quite warm but not sure if
thats the panel heating it up or the immersion heater. Thanks

Well it's easy to test if it's open, just use an ohm meter. The
resistance on a working heating element will be close to zero ohms.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a heating element is
either good or bad, there is nothing in the middle, it's either burned
out, or it's good.