Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
SMS SMS is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

As I said, the disposal is being charged against the consumer at the
end of life of the product...in time the politicians will get it right
and charge for it at the beginning of the product sale.

They are starting to do this in some states. In California, there are
fees for displays. It's working a lot better than trying to charge
people at the time of disposal. You can now dispose of CRTs, LCDs,
Plasma screens, etc., at no charge at time of disposal.

The amount of eWaste is staggering, but we've been externalizing it by
shipping it to third-world countries.

I spent a lot of time on RoHS compliance. At least it was phased in over
several years, so it wasn't as disruptive as many companies claimed that
it would be.