Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Tire repair question

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:04:58 GMT, "Bewildered"
wrote:

I was reading a Popular Mechanics in a waiting room, and they had an article
on how to fix a flat.

They said that tire repairs involved putting a patch on the inside of the
tire. That is how mine were fixed in the past, but the last few have had
plugs put in. The plugs seemed to work fine. What is the proper method.

They also recommended a can of air and material to plug the hole for
temporary repairs, and then getting a real patch. I was told that those
cans ruin the inside surface so a patch can't be used. What is the story
there?

imho:

This is what I was told, and first I want to say I've repaired my
tires many times with the plugs(NJ commuter for years).

1. Plugs work, but often damage the belts, causing a posible
premature failure.

2. Patches internal to the tire are the best. Tire pressure can help
seal them, and they do not damage the belts.

3. Fix-A-Flat Stuff, can coat the inside of the tire, but a good tire
dude, or dudet, can clean off the spot, and path properly. Also,
dont' keep a can forever, they rust, and every few years they come out
with better material.

Just passing on what I was told. I now let the professionals do the
work, and I keep my spare full of air.

tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com