Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Packing Nut-How tight?

seagar wrote:
On Jan 17, 10:26 am, "professorpaul" wrote:
Just enough so it doesn't drip. You are compressing the packing around
the valve stem.

so if it's currently not dripping I should leave it alone?

what happens if with use the packing nut loosens? does the handle just
drip? it won't flood water out of the stem? correct?

Sorry for these basic questions, (I'm a weekend plumber, hahaa)

your better off tightening it just a little because its only finger
tight. if a miss guided person opens the faucet fully and the packing
nut is loose they MIGHT unscrew the entire stem and cause a flood.

Dont laugh a buddies kid did this, his wife freaked out and didnt have
the brains or know where the main shut off was

It did a lot of damage all covered by homeowners, except NOW their
homeowners has a exclusion and wouldnt cover DIY plumbing disaters in
the future