Posted to alt.electronics
Coyoteboy Coyoteboy is offline

Default PC AT power supply conversion safety

PeterD wrote:

If all you are doing is drawing 12V at 3 or 4 amps, you could probalby
do away with the fan. (Maybe a big probably...)

Unless its the worlds worst designed PSU I suspect he'll be fine up to
around 10A - ive powered circuits off old PSUs (that were removed for
noisy/dead fans) up to that current for hours at a time with no problems.
Cant vouch for it lasting months like that but seems no problem on mine
(old AT PSUs, not so sure about modern ones that seem extremely
temperamental and I get through them at the rate of 1 a year even just used
in a PC!).