Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
seelyjv seelyjv is offline

Default I want to build a woodturning lathe

A woodturning lathe is just a drill press laid on it's back. Has anyone
thought of just laying an inexpensive drill press on it's back and making a
few accessories to create a lathe? That shouldn't be too hard - and there
are some pretty low cost drill presses out there. I haven't done this yet;
but, I have chucked some small wooden knobs in a vertical drill press and
turned them out with chisels.
Jim Seelye

wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jan 11, 3:15 pm, wrote:
I have done a lot of searching for home-built lathe plans on the web,
but haven't found that much. I'd like to build one myself for several
reasons, mainly because it would be fun, and I'm cheap. I know, I
know, I'll probably wind up spending more making something halfway
decent than just ponying up for a real lathe, but I'd like to give it a
go anyway.

Two things are holding me up from beginning: 1) a set of plans to at
least begin with, and 2) the source for the headstock and tailstock
spindles. I want MT #2, of course, because it seems that most of the
lathes use those. I just can't seem to find them on the web. I know
they must be there, I just don't seem to have the correct terminology
for what I want.

Has anyone out there built their own lathe and is willing to give me
some advice and warnings?

Thanks in advance.

----------
did this once. found a wonderful old tailstock at a farm tool sale so
got the bug to build a lathe to go with it.
used 2x3" metal tubing for base, 5x8" for headstock, got very sturdy
bearings. had help of another turner who was also a skilled machinist
with wonderful new equipment. he made the headstock spindle, hollowed
it, put on 1x8 threads, made the aluminum pulleys for poly v-belt for 4
speeds. friend at welding shop very helpful, offered good advice.
wanted a swiveling headstock for several reasons. motor is
suspended at back of headstock on big hinge with springs to keep
tension on the pulleys.
even had banjo and tool rests built by welding shop. it works
just fine.
but i'd not do it again.
there are some really great lathes out there today.
recently moved to a new place and am in process of putting the
lathe back together (finish in about another week) and could get some
photos if you'd like. just let me know . . .

Ptr.