Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Chris is offline

Default Help! CH only works when HW is on

Thanks for all the replies. You won't believe it but it has started
working properly again as mysteriously as it stopped! However I suspect
it will stop again one of these cold frosty mornings!
From reading the posts I gather the problem is almost certainly with

the 2-port valve. I did try manually opening the valve but the boiler
still would not fire up until I turned on the HW circuit. The valve
always closes quickly with a 'whizz' sound but is quite slow opening
with more of a quiet creak than a whizz. Not sure if this is normal,
sounds like during opening it is tightening a spring loaded coil or
something like that.

Is it tricky to replace the motorised valve? I know how to drain the
system and basic plumbing. Might be a job for my plumber though. Thanks
for all the help which has been very informative.

Cheers,
Chris.