Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Exterior Lighting (rant)

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"John" wrote in message
It annoys me when people fit exterior lights and just aim them
horizontally - thus ensuring that half of the light is wasted or is an
annoyance to other people. Typical PIR Controlled 500 watt lamp - "walk
near me and I will light up the houses across the road!"

The worse type of light often fitted commercially is the bulkhead light
with a 2D fluorescent tube - these get fitted to the walls of buildings
and only serve to shine into your eyes to make your iris close down so
that dark areas look even darker.

Good planning should ensure that the ground is well lit without the light
source shining directly into anyone's eyes.

Indeed.

There's an office block opposite our house, there's a security light
directed at the car park. but it shines at several of the houses on this
side of the street and it's so bright that we can read by it in our front
rooms. It doesn't go on and off, I don't know if that's a boon or not :-)

Mary

You are experiencing "Light Trespass". If it was a street light shining into
your bedroom you would demand a shield to be fitted. You are entitled to
some darkness at night I believe.

Take a read of this:

http://www.publications.parliament.u.../74706.htm#a16