Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
yourname yourname is offline

Default Question about high efficiency Furnace Exhaust

Pep wrote:
I have had two contractors in to price out a new high efficiency (90%)
gas furnace for my 25 year old home located in Calgary Alberta. So we
get some pretty cold days

Both have said that a new horizontal exhaust is required out the side
of the house. Both contractors will also drain condensed water from
the furnace to a floor drain inside my basement.

The condensed water is acidic, so if nothing else drains in there and it
is cast iron or copper, could very slowly eat it up. My condinsigs at
work drain outside, and I get a huge icicle in the winter. They changes
it to drain into my slop sink and I keep a bag of marble chips under it
in the hope of neutralizing it somewhat. It does eat the rocks away...

One didn't recommend the high efficiency furnace. He said that the new
exhaust will produce a sizable condensation cloud which will frost over
a window which is about 3-4 feet above the exhaust. As well he thought
condensation would freeze on my neighbors house which is about 6-8 feet
away.

Under no conditions let this idiot inside your house again

Does a high efficiency gas furnace really produce a cloud of
condensation? (It gets quite cold here, with a lot of freeze thaw
cycles over the winter)

Would the furnace exhaust come out with enough force to frost up my
neighbor's exterior wall 6 feet away?

No, and no.

Actually the condensing furnace exhaust has less moisture in it than the
standard[remember the drain?]

thanks