Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Rob Rob is offline

Default Sanding inside cylinder

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
. com...
I use a 2 1/2 inch hose to collect dust while sanding. I am making a
kitchen utensil holder with the inside about 6 inches deep and 4 1/2 inches
diameter. to sand the inside I was using the usual 1 1/2 inch dowel with a
2 inch slit in the end to hold a piece of sandpaper. Every minute I had to
stop and vacuum out the dust so it wouldn't clog the paper. Then I had a
flash.

Taking a piece of 1 inch PVC I cut a slit in one end to hold the paper and
tapered the other end to fit inside an adapter going to 2 1/2 inches. Now
I hook the dust collector hose to it and it keeps the dust out while
sanding.

You CAN hold a piece of sandpaper and sand the inside, but after a catch
and nearly wringing my arm off I gave that up. And there is still the
matter of the dust.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An aquarium is interactive television
for cats.

I picked up a huge pair of surgical forceps for sanding inside deep narrow
openings. Cheap enough at the flea market.

Junior