Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross Gerald Ross is offline

Default Tip: Sanding inside cylinder

I use a 2 1/2 inch hose to collect dust while sanding. I am making a
kitchen utensil holder with the inside about 6 inches deep and 4 1/2
inches diameter. to sand the inside I was using the usual 1 1/2 inch
dowel with a 2 inch slit in the end to hold a piece of sandpaper. Every
minute I had to stop and vacuum out the dust so it wouldn't clog the
paper. Then I had a flash.

Taking a piece of 1 inch PVC I cut a slit in one end to hold the paper
and tapered the other end to fit inside an adapter going to 2 1/2
inches. Now I hook the dust collector hose to it and it keeps the dust
out while sanding.

You CAN hold a piece of sandpaper and sand the inside, but after a catch
and nearly wringing my arm off I gave that up. And there is still the
matter of the dust.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA