Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Saving the planet

On 17 Jan 2007 15:54:34 GMT Ian Stirling wrote :
You can't simply multiply the thermal resistance of a 50mm cavity by
three to get the value for 150mm, otherwise the middle of a room
would be warmest.

For a standard double glazed window the U-values in SAP2005 a
6mm gap: 3.1; 12mm gap: 2.8; 16mm or more 2.7

My understanding has always been that beyond this you get next to no
improvement since the extra space allows for convection currents up
the warmer face and down the colder one.

My guess is that the biggest effect of curtains is to kill the heat
loss from radiation.