Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Pep Pep is offline

Default Question about high efficiency Furnace Exhaust

I have had two contractors in to price out a new high efficiency (90%)
gas furnace for my 25 year old home located in Calgary Alberta. So we
get some pretty cold days

Both have said that a new horizontal exhaust is required out the side
of the house. Both contractors will also drain condensed water from
the furnace to a floor drain inside my basement.

One didn't recommend the high efficiency furnace. He said that the new
exhaust will produce a sizable condensation cloud which will frost over
a window which is about 3-4 feet above the exhaust. As well he thought
condensation would freeze on my neighbors house which is about 6-8 feet
away.

Does a high efficiency gas furnace really produce a cloud of
condensation? (It gets quite cold here, with a lot of freeze thaw
cycles over the winter)

Would the furnace exhaust come out with enough force to frost up my
neighbor's exterior wall 6 feet away?

thanks