Posted to alt.home.repair
BobR BobR is offline

Default recessed lights -- what's wrong?

The new energy saving bulbs are great but...

They seem to take a while to reach full brightness which in many
applications is a real bonus but not in all. I have one over the
kitchen sink and in both bathrooms. It is great when you first get up
in the morning and go to the bathroom or kitchen to start the coffee.
Turn on the light and it comes up slowly. Not near the shock to my old
eyes in the darkness.

Most will NOT work on a dimmer circuit. I have yet to find any of the
energy saving bulbs that will work on the dimmer.

Arkadiy wrote:
Hi all,

I had recessed lighting installed in my family room a few month ago,
and I have a few problems with them. The burnout rate is very high: I
have 12 cans, and I already had to change about 10 bulbs in this few
months.

The fixtures are 4'', bulbs -- 50W, and I have 2 dimmers -- each
controlling 6 lights. The bulb goes in very deep -- almost all of it
is above the reflector (is it normal?). Maybe I am bying wrong bulbs?

Maybe I have to use a socket extender?

Also what's the deal with energy-saving bulbs? Would you recommend
them?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Arkadiy