Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

Ignoramus16071 wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Ignoramus16071 wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Ignoramus16071 wrote
James Sweet wrote
Ignoramus16071 wrote

TO the skeptics of the "planned obsolescence" and
"designed to fail" theory, I have a simple suggestion.

Take household machines from trash and take them apart. Look
for signs of above mentioned behaviours -- and you will find plenty.

Nope.

Such as parts that are obviously designed to fail.

Nope, just bad design.

Designed to fail, or designed to be cheap? When you see
these "designed to fail" parts, does it often appear that
they could be made to last much better for the same cost?

Well, let me give you one example. We had a electric tea kettle.
It broke the hinge on the lid. Postmortem indicated that it broke
because it lacked material around the hinge. At the cost of extra
1-2 cents, they could have a few mm more plastic around the
hinges so that they hold up better.

The extra cost is minuscule.

Another example, I received a KMart wallet as a gift and it
is unusable -- the credit card pockets are too tight and it is
generally too tight for money also(I like to carry a few hundred
$$ in cash etc, which does not affect credit card pockets).
Again, at the cost of perhaps 10 cents per wallet, it could
have been made into a better wallet.

Both of those are just lousy design, not planned
obsolescence or designed deliberately to fail.

If it is obvious, to a layman, by looking,
that it will fail, then it was designed to fail.

Wrong, most obviousy with the card pockets that the cards wont fit into.

Anyone with a clue would return a wallet like that, so there
is absolutely no point in designing it like that deliberately.

Except that I have it as a gift without a receipt.

Irrelevant to the vast bulk of their sales.

How can you say that that design was not deliberate?

Because it clearly wasnt. Novel concept I realise.

Yeah, very novel concept of people making stuff that cannot possibly
perform as advertised, but claiming that it "was not deliberate".

No one is going to design a wallet deliberately with card pockets that wont
take cards. Thats always going to be a design ****up or manufacturing ****up.

The only thing you did manage to get right was your nick.