Posted to rec.woodworking
shotcaller88 shotcaller88 is offline

Default Aquarium Stand/Bookcase Help

On Jan 16, 7:39 pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:
If there's any chance you'll ever fill the aquarium with water, I'd add a
center divider to prevent sag in the middle along the front edge. Another
good idea is to put a 1/4" thick piece of foam insulation board under the
aquarium to compensate for any small irregularities in the wood and/or
construction.

I think I'd skip the foam insulation because I plan on using an under
tank heater.

On Jan 17, 1:19 am, "Andy" wrote:
No - this is a topic of some debate here, but single biscuits probably
don't add much strength to a joint, although they are helpful for
alignment if you need help with that. If you wanted to strengthen the
design past the butt-joint+glue+screw plan, you could rout dados or
rabbets to increase the glue surface. If I were making something like
that, though, I'd feel perfectly comfortable just using glue+screws.
My only concern would be visibility of the ply edges, unless you're
veneering after construction.

Thanks for answering the biscuit question. I think I'll go with the
glue+screws like you said.
I plan to use molding on the visible ply edges on the front & sides.
3/4" inch on the front of the side pieces & front of the shelves. then
use a 3" board or piece of molding along the top. I think that's how it
is in that picture.