Kirk Gordon

Default Dial Test Indicator Pointers

Gunner wrote:

Chuckle..I need to use a DTI for measuring TIR of rotating collet
closer bodies. How do I actually measure .0005 runout with a DTI?

Actual tenths..not Gunnerinos. G This is why I asked the question
about pointer/lever length

While I'm at it...

You can calibrate your indicator, no matter what the pointer length
is, as long as you plan to use it only for concentricity, or for
measurements that involve only small movements of the needle.

Mount the indicator on a surface gauge. Set it up so the pointer is
as close to horizontal as you can get it, while zeroed on a stack of
good gauge blocks. Then carefully increase and decrease the height of
the gauge blocks by increments. Say, plus a thousanth, then minus a
thousandth. Then plus two, then minus two, etc. Write down the results
of each measurement, including the gauge block changes AND the actual
needle readings you get from the indicator dial. These will produce a
kind of "conversion table" for the indicator with any particular
pointer. If each .001 change on the blocks gets you a .0015 change on
the indicator dial, for example, then you can use the indicator
accurately (over small ranges of motion) just by converting with a
factor of 1.5.

KG
--
I'm sick of spam.
The 2 in my address doesn't belong there.