Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com is offline

Default Easy/Cheap way to remove (lead) paint?

Thanks to all for your suggestions. It is somewhat comforting to hear
(from multiple sources) that lead paint isn't as much of an issue if
its not flaking. On the outside it is flaking alot, as well as on lots
of the doorways and window frames but most of the walls of bead board
are not flaking and i *think* only have one layer of paints so i might
try chemical stripper on the flaking areas (using stripper does seem
expensive though).

I have a heat gun, does anyone know about face masks that can protect
against those fumes (I have masks for "leaded dust" but i doubt those
would help with gases.

cheers

-Gaiko

On Jan 12, 5:58 pm, wrote:
Hi, my family has an old house and we just finished removing old
sheetrock that was just horrible looking. I quite like the bead board
(the real thing not that sheet of bead board stuff) underneath and am
thinking about keeping it exposed (at least on the ceiling) but all of
it is covered in lead paint and all the other woodwork (door/window
frames etc) as well as the outside (which *really* needs to be
stripped/repainted) is all covered in lead paint.

This house is pretty much a "family retreat" now and my uncle is
worried about the lead paint and his children and in truth I am not
sure if I want to expose my kids to lead paint (not that I think they
will be licking the walls or anything).

So, I want to strip at least most of the paint off and repaint it but
wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions i.e. machines, recommended
masks, tools, methods, etc about how best to go about this. Someone had
suggested sand blasting but while I like to think this house is fairly
sturdy (old house) it is still made of mostly pine which strikes me as
being a bit soft for something like sandblasting. I have tried
chemicals in another project and that just doesn't seem to be
realistic for a 4k sq ft house.

Any ideas would really be appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko