Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Furnace not starting all the time on the first try?

diyme wrote:
furnace exhaust fan turns on... then the heating element lights up....
then the gas ignites breafly and then gas shuts off..then the fan stays
on and it starts the process all over until it lights. most of the time
it lights on the second time.
It does not do this all the time but more then we like.
Why is this happening?? Can we fix this or do we need to call someone?
Goodman installed in late 1998.

Hi,
Two things to check; flame sensor and inducer pressure switch.
Sensor can have a fine surface rust causing intermittent operation,
switch can have a debris in the hose.