Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default Audiophile cappacitor replacement

Eric ha escrito:

Hi,

I have a question about the audiophile capacitor replacement. In normal
production boards, signal coupling capacitor normally using polar
electrolytic capacitors. In some higher grade models, bi-polar electrolytic
capacitors will be introduced. Some people will upgrade it will audio grade
capacitors such as oil caps, polypropylene caps. In my audio device, the
coupling caps are 100uF polar electrolytic caps. I am looking for Jensen
oil caps and it will be very expensive and the size is very big. Someone
suggests me I can replace with 20uF oil caps instead of huge big one.

This all seems rather unscientific to me, with more than a whiff of
snake oil (dunno about capacitor oil!)
- since when can you reduce the capacitance to a fifth of the value of
the original and expect good perfomance?
What utter crap. You'd end up with a result as if the amp had aged 20
years and the caps had lost their capacitance. Use always the same
value as the original: 100uF, with same or slightly greater voltage
rating.

Unless there is a fault with the appliance, (often evidenced by hum,
motor boating or excessive hiss on the output) I'd say don't mess about
changing caps for the sake of it. You won't hear any perceptible
difference. There are people out there making a living by spreading
this nonsense about to the non-technical.

-B.