Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eric Eric is offline

Default Audiophile cappacitor replacement

Hi,

I have a question about the audiophile capacitor replacement. In normal
production boards, signal coupling capacitor normally using polar
electrolytic capacitors. In some higher grade models, bi-polar electrolytic
capacitors will be introduced. Some people will upgrade it will audio grade
capacitors such as oil caps, polypropylene caps. In my audio device, the
coupling caps are 100uF polar electrolytic caps. I am looking for Jensen
oil caps and it will be very expensive and the size is very big. Someone
suggests me I can replace with 20uF oil caps instead of huge big one. If it
is right, is there any rule of thumb to do the exchange calculation or any
theory behind the idea. It seems the capacitor values will be 5 times lower
than the original value and I am worry about the filter DC function. Thanks
a lot for any input for the information.