Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I got one of those for free because the motor controller
had failed and the repair was supposed to cost $400.

The Neputune washer is a typical case of how
companies plan for enforced obscelence.

Nope, its just another example of lousy design.

Make the repair cost so high that you are forced to buy another appliance.

Their mistake is that many of the problems surfaced during the warranty period.

You're mangling two entirely separate issues here.

Their other mistake was to outsource much of the design
to consultants who took their money and ran leaving the
company with a poor design that was rushed to production.

And there too.

The CEO and MBAs still got their bonuses as the company sank.

You dont know that they got a bonus at all with that obscenity.

James Sweet wrote:
A friend bought a brand new Neptune washer that didn't last a
month. The dealer had to replace it TWICE before he had one that
lasted over a month.

I got one of those for free because the motor controller had failed
and the repair was supposed to cost $400. I got lucky and touching
up a few cracked solder joints fixed it. Another I got I wasn't
quite so lucky with and some of the mosfets had shorted which in
turn took out just about every semi on the board including the big
custom chip. They used underrated triacs on the upper control board
as well and I've fixed a number of those which were burned out by
out of spec door lock motors.