Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default decided to buy a Radio Shack device for the connection

jayn123 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

To be clear, I was NOT hearing conversations EXCEPT when the phone was IN
use. However, the NOISES I was hearing were when the phone was NOT in use.

I do have cordless phones but I believe the chirping tones were still was
happening even if I disconnected those phones from the phone jacks.

Since this was interfering with the ability of the phone to ring, I've
abandoned the idea of connecting the phone line itself DIRECTLY to an audio
mixer, and decided to go to Radio Shack and invest $30 in a "Multi-Phone
Telephone recorder." This device, so far, appears to do the job of letting
me INDIRECTLY connect the phone line to the mixer, or audio recorder, and
the device says it complies with FCC specs. The device has a small output
cord with an 1/8" plug that will plug into an audio recorder or mixer, and a
2nd cord has a plug that will plug into a remote jack of an audio recorder
if the recorder has one. I'm just using the audio signal cord and not any
remote.

Presumably the use of the Radio Shack device should be much safer/reliable
way to connect the phone line to the mixer than simply taking the red and
green phone wires and directly connecting them to an audio cable with a 1/4"
plug and then plugging that into the mixer, which is the method I was using
up until I bought the Radio Shack device.

Thanks,

J.

Remeber, it is illegal to record a teleone message without the consent
of all prties to the conversation unless you have a court warrant to do
so. You can directly listen to the conversation(eavesdrop) but cannot
repeat what you have heard.

H. R. Hofmann