Posted to rec.woodworking
Dukester Dukester is offline

Default MDF workbench top & dogs

wrote in message
oups.com...

I never saw that picture but when I built my bench, my budget limited
me to what was on hand. That was, a load of white oak two by fours
rough cut, some hard maple I got from a freebie pile, and a whole lot
of mdf from when I pulled out some shelves. I knew mdf sagged, but it
was either that or no bench. And I had two NICE vintage vises a friend
had given me.

I don't know if that's a recommendation or not. I guess I should say
that I don't think two layers of MDF is enough, and the bands on the
sides don't look thick enough in that picture but I'm probably not
objective any more.

It's good enough for me. Actually the bench has 2 full slabs of MDF on top
of 2 12" slabs around the perimeter (I think the article was trying to get
by using 3 whole sheets). In any case, where to dog holes will be it would
actually be 4 layers thick. I may try the wooden dogs first or even some
plastic ones Rockler sent me a while back for free.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers!
Dukester