Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exhaust Fan

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Dottie wrote:
My bathroom has a window but it can't be opened when someone is taking
a shower and moisture builds up fast.

I would like to install an exhaust fan in the ceiling but I have a
tile roof so it can't go out through the roof. My dryer was
originally vented out through the roof (it's at the other end of the
house) but it stopped working right and a man who does repairs came
in and ran a new vent pipe up into the attic and out through the
soffit. It works fine. I am wondering if there is any reason why I
can't do the same thing with the bathroom.

It is possible to vent out the soffit, but it is not considered a good
choice because the warm moist vented air tends to be sucked into the nearest
vent back into the attic where it can cause mold and rot problems. Out the
side of the house is often a better option.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

You can do the soffit type, many are done this way, including the ones
in my home. A lot depends on doing it right. The fan should be
vented to an outlet of it's own placed in the soffit. Many times the
shortcut of just routing the hose over to the existing soffit vent and
leaving it next to it is done. That can result in the mold/moisture
issues.