Posted to rec.video.dvd.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Gene Gene is offline

Default How to view the firmware version: Panasonic DMR-ES20 DVD burner?

FYI, here is the reply from Panasonic:

**************** copy & paste ***************
Dear MR (.. cut.. )

Thank you for your inquiry. You are not able to view the current firmware
version on the DVD Recorder. The only way to determine if you have the
most recent update is to try to install the firmware. If the unit
displays an unsupported message, that will indicate your unit has the most
recent update.

To obtain additional troubleshooting assistance for your product, please
contact our Panasonic Customer Call Center at (800)211-7262. The hours of
operation are Monday through Friday 9 AM to 9 PM. Saturday and Sunday 10
AM to 7 PM Eastern Standard Time. A representative will be available to
assist you. Please have your case number, which is listed at the top
portion of your email, available at the time of the call.

Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support

LOL - in the real world, there is a CE out there somewhere that knows
the magic button pushing sequence - or has software on a CD that
will do it :-)

Gene

"Gene" wrote in message
USA site = version 150 max, Canada = version 152 , I have seen a
version 158 in Europe. As for the Setup display of the version number,
it shows 00000103 after "any" update - it never changes from the
00000103. I was hoping that someone knew a better way to view
the current firmware version installed.

Gene

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:07:06 -0600, Gene Has Frothed:

I have a Panasonic DMR-ES20S DVD Recorder (set-top)

It reports a firmware version of 00000103, which is not the proper
number. It should be something like U3-150 to U3-158 + , etc.

What are the magic keystrokes to see the version of firmware that
is "currently" in my ES20?

BTW- anyone know the "differences" between IN1 & IN2?
They do not seem to have the SAME specifications.
The front one seems to be missing features?

Also, I'm having a VERY HARD time getting good copies of
digital camcorder data burned onto any DVD. I'm using a Sony
460 D8, and also a Sony PC100 MiniDV tape to the ES20
via the DV cable. (I'm using a Belkin 3' 4x4 DV cable.)
LOTs of hang-ups, burner locking up, unable to finalize - the list
goes on & on.

Anyone have a link to download the latest DMR-ES20S firmware,
other than the USA link for the U3-150, which is the one that I now
have in the DMR-ES20S - I think:-)

Is there a GOOD DVD set-top box burner that will work with Sony digital
cameras via the DV (firewire) cable? Or am I doomed to using the analog
A/V cable or S-video+A/V audio? Which, btw, is really not all that bad.
I need to do a little more testing using IN1 & IN2 (they seem to be
different)
but I have gotten some really LARGE VOB files that way - which is my
benchmark for a quality DVD:-)

THANKS in advance!

Gene

The firmware should be displayed in the setup screen. And what makes you
think there is a newer version stashed somewhere else in the world
besides
the USA site?

COOSN-266-06-25794