Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Land Jim Land is offline

Default Power hungry lcd CCFL tube

"jss" wrote in news:1168910186.872846.184630
@s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

The point, after all, is to get your lcd working, correct?

Jim Land,

Many times I try to learn from facts of life that cross my path, I
guess we all do; this is called evolution.

But you're right, this is not worth it; the point is that I was just
being too cautious to avoid buying a new tube just to discover that the
problem remains; after all, a new tube shall travel a long way from a
shop in the US to my country in Europe.

My apologies. I was not being sufficiently sensitive to the cultural
differences between the US and other countries. I was advocating the
contemporary US attitude of "throw it away and buy a new one." This is,
of course, wasteful. Many times, parts can be repaired, circuits can be
modified, or compromises can be made. If you can make your new tube work
satisfactorily, you will save money and have a good learning experience.

If you wish to experiment with the tube you have, you might try a
resistor in series with it, to reduce the voltage across it and the
current through it.

If the tube is too dim, or does not light, the resistance is too large.
If it is too bright, the resistance is too small. If the tube is the
same brightness as the original tube, the resistance is just right. If
the resistor gets too hot, replace it with a resistor with the same
resistance but higher wattage.

Best wishes,
Jim