Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
lsmartino lsmartino is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

clare ha escrito:

I replace enought ATX computer SMPSs before they hit 3 years - many
within 2, and too many within one. And they are running, in many
cases, on protected power supplies.

Me too, and the problem doesnīt stops with the SMPS. I have seen
enough motherboard failures caused by defective capacitors. In fact,
there is even a website www.badcaps.net dedicated to motherboard
failures caused by bad capacitors.

A TV, or a computer monitor left on all the time will last less time of
course. A CRT has a definite lifespan, and if the monitor or the TV set
is a LCD based one, the CFL bulbs used to light up the screen have a
definite lifespan. Did you knew that, Mr. Know Nothing ?

And certain parts ONLY fail on start-up because of power surges. Some
devices would run litterally forever if never shut off - others are
robust enough to handle starting and stopping but have finite life
devices. My experience with computer monitors (over 17 years) has been
those left on 24/7 generally outlast those that are started and
stopped several times a day. Phosphor burn used to be the major
problem with 24/7 operation. Today it is SMPS failure. I can't
remember the last monitor I had to replace due to CRT failure. My own
newest monitor is well over 5 years old now. It is generally never
turned off (just powers itself down when I leave)

Thatīs interesting. In my experience I have found that computer CRT
monitors left 24/7 on, tend to present an overall decrease in
brightness and focus in less than 4 years, and in some cases they get
pretty unusable. The cheaper the monitor is, the worse is the effect.
Of course, turning it off/on constantly isnīt a good idea either.
Normally I set them to turn off automatically if the computer is left
unused for 1 hour.

Educated guesses. Finite Element Analysis. Pretty accurate predictive
methodology.

ANd Hard drives that are never shut off generally DO last
significantly longer than those that get powered down (which is why I
disable power management on my servers). I have a set of 10 year old
scsi drives in one of the servers that will likely go another 10 years
if I don't scrap the server. That server has not had a SINGLE FAILURE
over those 10 years. It cost about $10,000 new. The drives were likely
over $1000 each. They are 8gb?
The EIDE drive I just installed is 160gb and cost $79.00. Will it last
10 years? Not likely!

I agree with that. I too disable power management in my harddrives and
I havenīt had a single failure with them, and also I have found that
HDDs that are normally 24/7 ON lasts a lot longer, and when they fail,
is normally because a bearing failure, for instance. In the other hand,
I usually replace the HDDīs of my computer as soon as they get 5 years
old. There is no need to take unnecessary risks, specially when the
capacity of HDDs increases each year.