Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher Ashton Crusher is offline

Default Polaris 380 pool sweep: Still worth it or not?

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:50:23 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

The hose of our Polaris 380 just broke. Ok, it froze a wee bit but I was
hoping that this expensive hose could have hung on more than 15 years.
It's disappointing, I can take the hose and snap it into pieces without
much effort. Since the Polaris is also quite old and the number of
(expensive) repairs per year is rising we are thinking of replacing the
head unit as well but there aren't any good rebate deals like there used
to be.

AFAIK a new 380 comes with a hose but they want a whopping $650. Ouch!
Looks like the hose alone with all its floats and other gizmos is around
$150. Then we could later buy a rebuild kit for about $250, which would
put us at $400 grand total, or $250 less than the whole new thing.
Questions:

Is a new Polaris 380 worth it or is there a better deal? Hayward Viper?
I have seen the Viper around $400 and it seems to come with the hose.

Does the rebuild kit really contain everything but the hose assembly?

I've got a 180 I've been using for 20 years. I found this on epinions
and it sounds like something you would want to read..

http://www0.epinions.com/content_124220313220

and these

http://www0.epinions.com/hmgd-Pool_a...0_Pool_Cleaner