Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

A friend bought a brand new Neptune washer that didn't last a month.
The dealer had to replace it TWICE before he had one that lasted over a
month.

I got one of those for free because the motor controller had failed and
the repair was supposed to cost $400. I got lucky and touching up a few
cracked solder joints fixed it. Another I got I wasn't quite so lucky
with and some of the mosfets had shorted which in turn took out just
about every semi on the board including the big custom chip. They used
underrated triacs on the upper control board as well and I've fixed a
number of those which were burned out by out of spec door lock motors.