Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Oscilloscope

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote in
:

In article . com,
(known to some as hardhackers) scribed...

Hi All

I want to purchase a new Oscilloscope with a maximum frequesncy limit
of 30MHZ (20-50MHz). I'm looking PC Attached type, like USB or
Parallel.

I want some advice for to procure best cost efficent scope

If you're serious about your test gear, I think you would do much
better to find an older Tektronix 7000 series. Something like an SC504
(80MHz) or 7603 (100MHz).

Note that with the SC504, you will also need a Tek TM500 or 5000
series instrument enclosure to run it. The good news there is that both
are pretty cheap these days, and you can plug other TM5xx instruments
into them as well.

With the 7603, you will also need a timebase plug-in (7B50 would do
nicely) and a vertical amp (7A26, plentiful and cheap). All should be
readily available from surplus electronic sources such as ham radio swap
meets, Ebay, etc.

Contrary to what the computer makers of the world would like you to
believe, the PC is not the be-all and end-all for electronic test
equipment. Far from it, in fact.

Happy hunting.

rgds
Sree

IMO,the SC504 is a piece of useless crap.
It's display is too small for anything other than monitoring.
It has no BW limit,and you get too much noise picked up,especially
considering the small graticule.
It's not the sharpest CRT beam,either.

He'd be better off buying a T932/935 or a 442 (35Mhz) scope than a SC504.
Even better; a 2235 100Mhz scope.
Any of those would also be more maintainable than the SC504.
And FAR better "cost-effectively".

For 7K mainframes;
7603 is a good choice,7704A or 7904/A better.
7A26 is the best of the 1MegZ 7K vertical plug-ins.
It has a 20 Mhz BW limit switch.

AVOID 7300,7400,7500 series!!

--
Jim Yanik