Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
John Husvar John Husvar is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

In article .com,
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

A whole big bunch of text and data files will
_still_ fit on a floppy. It's just that floppy drives are being replaced
by inexpensive CD and DVD RW storage that store more and have better
data retention, more or less.

Better data retention? Think again.

Hard drive/tape/floppy (as in magnetic) storage have the best lifespan.

DC/DVD storage life can be measured in just a few years.

Ach, so? I'll have to look farther into this. I'd heard some mumblings
about CD and DVD not being as lasting a storage method as they were
first thought to be.

Archival storage of data is a BIG deal that the industry doesn't like
to talk about.

Well, I suppose one could print and store all all the data records on
acid-free paper and then physically go find the ones they wanted.
Shouldn't take more than a medium-sized army of clerks and only a small
hollowed mountain range for the storage.

We could then test the adage about it requiring (some large number)
clerks working (some large number) years to make an error a computer can
make in nanoseconds too.

--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.