Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil boiler output power

Bodgit wrote:
What is the result of your heat loss calculation for the house? How
does this compare to the boiler power?

I've already done the heatloss calculation - The house is a bit
complicated and the heatloss programs don't really cater for some of
the peculiarities, but I reckon I need about 28-30KW.

That is massive. Insulation will pay off quickly at that sort of
heatloss. I have a 6 bed house here, and the calcs gave just 10KW.

I wasn't asking anyone to do the calculations for me. I reckon the
boiler is slightly underrated for what I want. My question was that if
I was to adjust the burner to increase the output power (I would get
someone in with all the gas analysis equipment to do this), is it
possible to get a bit more out of the boiler without breaking it.
'cynic' pointed out that I might lose efficiency by doing this -
thanks.

The boiler wiill always cycle or modulate back to what is needed. With a
heatbank to cope wig peak hot water demands you don't need any extra for
showers etc.

You biggest problem is a boiler that has to ruin 24x7 to keep the house
warm. Cos its too small. If teh house has a low thermal mass,, then it
will heat up quickly..mine doesn't and I DO need to run the boiler for a
long time if it gets cold.

Conversely it stays warm when the heating goes off. The house itself is
a massive heatbank.

So given that my boiler is obsolete - I can't find any documentation -
does anyone know how I can find out how high the burner can be turned
up?

No..just suck it and see.

In your case I would think long and hard about better insulation rather
than a new boiler.