Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sacstinkytiger@yahoo.com is offline

Default Home Backup Generators: Which One??

Hi Bob,

I had a generator installed and went for a somewhat expensive Onan
RS20000 with Propane LPG. Each persons setup is different. One useful
tip is to Google "Steve Dunlop Generator FAQ". This is a pretty good
review on home power backup solutions and issues.

As a rough guide as far as pricing:

1) Petrol portable units: $US 500 to $US 2300, no woring just use
extension cords
2) Fully Automatic units, LPG or Mains Natual or Propane gas $US 8000,
to $US 10,000
3) Automatic units based on car and truck engines $US 12,000 and up.

Note these are approx prices for generator, gas / fuel instalation and
permanet transfer switch wiring.

Best, Mike.

HugeBob wrote:
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a backup generator to power primarily two sump
pumps. Coverage of an extra circuit or two would be nice. But, I'm
more concerned about protecting a finished basement. Could someone
outline which manufacture/unit is best? I've had estimates which left
me more confused as the vendor trashed everyone and everything other
than what he was selling of course.