Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Tampa Bay Florida

Mikail Dellovich wrote:
I am looking at getting a house in the surrounding suburbs of Tampa Bay,
Florida.

What are the downsides of this place?

1. would be a massive hurricane is coming in 2008 Aug. So big that the
Republican Convention to be held there in 2008 was changed to some other
city.

But houses there are built to withstand 350 mile winds.. Cat 6.

Any comments or other downsides? How far off the coast or Tampa Bay is
safe from Wind? From ensuing Floods? Etc...

Any help appreciated.

350 mph wind? Not a chance. South Tampa floods when it rains hard, is
in a basin so if a hurricane hits directly Tampa will be gone because
all the water will be pushed into Tampa Bay. Check out a map showing
elevations and add on a 20' storm surge plus 50' waves. Most of St.
Pete is also very low and flat. O/W, nice place to live. My tolerance
for wind is 70 mph; any more and things come apart.

Downsides? Hmmm...no homeowner's insurance. Huge tax increases on
existing homes when the homestead cap comes off. I4/275 is a nighmare
for commuting.