Posted to alt.home.repair

Default remove interior door jam without destroying it?

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,

Well, we hired a carpenter to install several interior pine doors...and
he really botched it. The doors are hung visibly crooked Is there
a way to remove the jams without destroying them...so we can re-hang it
correctly?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Very slowly, using putty knives. Use thin, flexible ones to break through
paint (if any) and slide under the wood. Use thick, rigid ones to slide
under a pry gently. Leave the skinny ones in place to protect the wood from
the thicker tool. As you establish gaps, slide in pieces of thin dowel.
Continue with a thin pry tool, available at any decent hardware store. Plan
on doing a little spackle work. A few dents in the wood are inevitable.

Have your favorite scotch available, and keep children away, in case you
invent new obscenities.