Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Terrence Briggs Terrence Briggs is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rick Brandt wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Yes, my mother used her first clothes dryer for over 30 years. We
replaced the belt three times. A new dryer might last five years,
total.

On what do you base this statement? To claim that (on average) a new dryer will
only last five years is absurd. What, you once knew "a guy" who replaced a five
year old dryer? The dryer has to be one of the simplest and most reliable
things in the home. There just isn't that much to go wrong.

From dozens of relatives and friends who had major problems from 4 to 6
years. My stepmother replaced a GE washer and dryer pair that was less
than two years old because they were crap. Not much to go wrong? cheap
parts, poor designs and sloppy assembly work. Something is making noise
and you find a broken weld, sheared off bolt or bad bearing that SHOULD
NOT HAVE HAPPENED.

7 percent of dryers purchased between 2002 and 2006 needed repair,
according to a survey of Consumer Reports subscribers and their 109,000
dryers.

Not sure how much it would cost to repair a dryer, however. I've seen
good performers from reliable brands selling in the $450 range.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Terrence Briggs using a coin-op machine for now. Bachelors don't have
that much laundry
Peace to you...