Posted to rec.woodworking
Mr. G D Geen Mr. G D Geen is offline

Default My wife just took me up on it!

wrote:
Hi all,

My wife just bought me a nice table saw/router for Christmas, I set it
up, but have never used a Table saw before, any safety tips ?

Also...any one have some simple plans to learn the basics?

Thanks,
Darryl.

Good day Darryl. You are getting a lot of good advice today. I have
used power tools since I was about 10 years old. My dad taught me how
to use his power tools and I now have a garage full of my own that do
not see enough use -- for my tastes.

1. Wear your safety glasses. I make better cuts knowing that the
likelihood of object embedding in my eye are greatly reduced.

2. Wear your hearing protection. CVS Pharmacy caries 50 pack of year
protection that you scrunch down and stick in your ear. I use these now
instead of the over-the-ear. My saw is very loud.

Yes, I get a lot of harassing from my friends but with the hearing
protection in I don't hear them anymore.

3. Read and understand the manual.

4. Buy some cheap wood and make some practice cuts. I find the pine is
pretty cheap and it is easy to work with. If you do not already have
one, buy a square. Check your saw for square, and 45 degree cuts.
Using the square you will be able to check these two out quickly.

Also, practice bevel cuts with your blade. You will need to learn how
to adjust your saw for this. That is the purpose.

Also practice making some dado cuts with a regular blade, dado blade,
and a router bit. This will teach you that a 2x4 is realy 1.5x3.5 .
This should also teach you that a typical saw blade is about 1/8th of an
inch thick.

I am not big on routers. I have one but it does not see much use. I
should use it more.

30 years of sawing wood and still have all 10 fingers. Not a bad
record. My dad nearly cut one of his fingers off a couple of years
back. But he is over 70 and that was is first major mishap. I think my
family has a good track record of safety. -G