Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default How to simulate English Oak

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 00:59:07 -0500, "Steve"
wrote:

I'm getting ready to embark on a major project down in the basement. I'm
going to create an "English Pub". I want to create the "English Pub Oak"
look on the walls using raised panels and the bar area. Does anyone have a
recipe for finishing red or white oak to simulate this old look?

Thermwood/Valspar has some new finishing schedules that are fairly
nice. They are all inclusive, that is, they include stains, toners,
shading agents, sealers, and final finishes. They sell them as a set.
I think one of them was distressed antique oak that might be
appropriate.

Each schedule has a corresponding DVD that gives a step by step,
including the aging and distressing steps. You might want to check it
out.

Frank