Posted to rec.woodworking
sweet sawdust sweet sawdust is offline

Default How Does Pledge Lemon Spray Affect Wood Finish?

A little off subject but not much. Many years ago when Pledge with lemon oil
first came out and Deft (the prefered poly in my area at the time) was just
beginning to be used you could not mix them. Even after many days of drying
and a good coat of Johnsons the Pledge would strip the Deft right off the
furniture. I and several of my fellow students found this out the hard way.
We had just finished projects for a class and before turning them over to
the Profs for grading we Pledged them. Finishes went all splotchy and
spotty where the Pledge had removed the finish. Have tried Pledge with
lemon oil since then and it doesn't seem to cause a problem but it sure did
when pledge first came out.
"Jay Chan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in the process of finishing up a "refinishing" dinning table. I
am trying to wait for a coat of poly to become fully cured before I
sand it one more time and apply the last thich coat of poly on it (and
then wait another month to rub polish it). Someone comes along sprayed
a coat of pledge lemon spray on it. I am under the impression that
Pledge comes with sillicon and is going to create a "fish eye" problem
when I put on another coat of poly.

My questions a

- Is this true that Pledge comes with sillicon and is going to become
a problem with another coat of poly finish?

- How should I remove it? Of course, I have already tried using
household cleaner. But I am afraid that this may not be enough.

Please help! Thanks.

Jay Chan