Posted to alt.home.repair
Arkadiy Arkadiy is offline

Default recessed lights -- what's wrong?

RBM (remove this) wrote:

It would help to know the make and model of the fixture, as well as the lamp
type

The fixture is Halo. The bulbs are Philips DuraMax reflectors, 50W,
120V. I don't have a box, but I would guess it's 50R20

but a typical standard four inch recessed would use either a par or R
lamp, which get pretty hot. I've found with "Halo" brand , which are non
adjustable, a one inch porcelain socket extender brings the lamp closer to
the plane of the ceiling where it gives more light, and the heat from the
lamp is dissipated so the lamps last longer. I would also use GE lamps if
you can afford them

Which kind of GE? Are they much better than Philips? Are they much
more expensive? Mine were at about $3 a bulb...

Thanks,
Arkadiy