Posted to alt.home.repair

Default installing a hardwood floor on carpet underpading

"Thumbs" wrote in message
news:31e4d4209f52b5005fde149bc0814ab2@homerepairli ve.com...
I'm re-flooring our basement with hardwood. It's about 600 sq feet, raised
with an old glued on carpet. I pulled up the all the carpet and a thin
layer of under carpet remains stuck to the half inch plywood. Removing
this layer looks to be like quite a painful task (I gave it a small shot
with a scraper). I'm thinking - forget it - I'll just lay down the
receiving paper directly on this under-carpet, then harness down my
hardwood from there. Should anyone talk me out of this? Do I have to
painstakingly remove this thin layer of under-carpet? I figure it's no
thicker than vapor retarder material that they sell to go underneath
hardwood floors... anybody?

Would you rather do it right, just once? Or, rip it all out and buy hardwood
twice? And, let's not forget getting THE LOOK (and not much else) from your
wife for three months afterward.