Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Paint Peeling

"Norminn" wrote in message
ink.net...
clipped

As far as the wall that has the problem... here is a pictu

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1090906/wall.jpg

This was taken last year after hurricane Wilma damaged my roof. But as
you can see the wall on the left side, where is stops above the roof.
The tip of the wall is the same, stucco concrete. I had him cleaned off
the top, patches a couple of small dents and holes with the vinyl
patches, sanded and prime/paint like the rest of the wall.

MC

Ohhhh, dear. The problem may be your wall. Seems there should be some
kind of cap on the top of the wall to keep rain out. With water going
inside the wall, it could cause the paint to peel. Your contractor should
have picked up on that, unless he never climbed up high enough to see the
top of it.

CB always has some moisture in it, but it seems that an open top would
allow much more than normal to saturare the block. A little sunlight on
it warms it, expands, makes blisters.

I don't think it is related to the top of the wall. The old paint that was
there for years and years and no problem. I looked at the wall and the
paint seemed fine. It also did not rain much at all in December so I doubt
this paint peeling is related to moisture.

After another inspection it seems the peeling seems to be near the bottom of
the wall (within a foot from the base) and near corners. Then one day it
hit me...when I saw the pest control company came by to spray...and I looked
at their schedule last time, they came once a month to spray the outside,
near the base and around corners, a chemical called "Termidor". I am
thinking may be the spray of this chemical on the wall before priming, or
after priming but before top coat, could cause a problem? I have no way to
determine at what stage this was applied, but I am pretty sure during the
two weeks the paint job was going on, there was a spray service that
occurred. The details of this Termidor is pasted below. I am not sure what
I can do now.

Termidor SC insecticide concentrate is for the control of termites,
including subterranean, formosan, and drywood termites, carpenter ants, and
nuisance ant species such as argentine ants, big-headed ants, odorous house
ants, pavement ants, etc.

Termidor can be applied as a liquid spray, liquid dilution or as a foam
application. Can be applied directly to soil, wall voids, posts, poles, and
wooden landscape ornamentation.

Termidor Mixing:
..06% solution - 20 oz will make 24 gallons
..125 solution - 20 oz will make 12 gallons

Contains: 20 fl. Oz.

Active Ingredients:

EPA Reg. No. 7969-210