Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Mains Voltage

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:54:40 +0000 (GMT), Tony Williams wrote:

http://freespace.virgin.net/julian.s...ransformer.JPG

It doesn't look very large but the local electricity Co will probably
be very reluctant to spend the money changing it. Watch out that they
don't 'solve' the low voltage problem by tapping up the transformer.

Well the problem is regulation not low voltage, I wouldn't expect any
competent power linesman to make that mistake. In my experience power
distribution linesmen know their stuff, you don't F about with power
distribution networks, get it wrong an there is a BIG BANG and lots of
explaining or you or a collegue are pushing up the daisies.

It does look a tad small but these trannys can deliver a surprising
amount of juice. Ours is a square boxed jobbie a bit larger than that one
but the cut out on the pole is 200A (46kW). One would assume that that
cut out is designed to go pop before the tranny catches fire...

I note that the 11kV feed is single phase, how long is this 11kV spur?
But as others have pointed out that sort of volt drop at that load
indicates 1kW or so going somewhere, a single joint dissipating that much
power wouldn't last long. Report it to the local power company, they need
to come and investigate.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail